Wednesday 11 August 2010

"For my part I travel not to go anywhere but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move; to feel the needs and hitches of our lives more nearly; to come down off this feather-bed of civilisation, and find the globe granite underfoot and strewn with cutting flints."

Robert Louis Stephenson
Travels with a Donkey


I lifted this quote from Chris Townsend's book: Long Distance walks in the Pyrenees which has been useful for looking at distances and routes. I also based my kit list on his in this month's TGO (The Great Outdoors) for his 1200 mile walk on the Pacific Northwest Trail. I've nearly got everything I need, I'm just looking for a titanium pot under £50 and have decided not to take the 2kilo rucksack that put my back into the most painful spasms on the Offa's Dyke walk , (can it really be two years ago!) I'm splashing out  on a Go-Lite Pinnacle instead.
I have read Travels with a Donkey though, and it is a great read. He had to cope with wolves up on the Haute Cevenne I don't think there are any wolves in the Pyrenees.
Yesterday I strengthened my legs with 18 holes of golf at Mere then a couple of sets of tennis at the Albert. I really earned my Timothy Taylor and got some more sponsorship to boot. (just click on the link here!)
http://www.justgiving.com/gesarmor4peakspyrenees

No comments:

Post a Comment