Wednesday 1 September 2010

Day two: Pic Carlit

A good breakfast and parting sentiments to my three French friends, e-mails swapped and rucksack adjusted I set off into the unknown of my first peak.  Would the altitude affect me? Would I get my bag to the top? I didn't know, but a loose plan was easily changeable without disappointment.
the path was part of the Haute Route Pyrenees (HRP) which was a little more challenging than either the French GR10 or the Spanish GR11. This meant there may be trouble ahead! Especially as I'd never been higher than a 1000 metres without skis or an airline meal! (oh Ryanair once)  Many a boot before mine had come this way among the trees and exposed the roots into a web of tripsters but otherwise it was a very scenic lower path soon opening up into a small system of lakes.
The reason I had to take my rucksack (I did mention its 15 kilos?) to the top was that the map showed the HRP disappearing over the back and on to L'hospitalet pres de Andorra, a much shorter route than the GR10.
I was not alone on that mountain and had to dig deeply into my linguistic reserves to explain the seeming madness of marching up a 50 degree slope with a 33lb rucksack in the midday sun.  But if I didn't understand the patois I understood the look.http://www.justgiving.com/gesarmor4peakspyrenees click this link to donate your £4.00 (or more!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment