Wednesday 1 September 2010

Pic Carlit - First Peak

Yesterday I had sat and stretched among the wild horses of the plain becoming more arrogant about the ease with which I'd master this task. Pulling a golf bag up the sixteenth was not to change approved training methods for climbing mountains.  Hey-ho I had breakfasted well and was focused. I climbed.
The fearlessness and dexterity of 5 year olds on mountainsides should be an encouragement and to the well balanced individual it probably is, however when you're climbing them to balance yourself, the sight of a girl the same age as your underwear leaping about the crags like a ibex on laughing gas can unnerve you considerably.
Obviously I was disappointed for the young thing when her mother took someone's advice not to attempt the final 100 or so metres.
So slow was my progress that by the time I staggered up to the crater lake in the picture above, she was probably at home reading Don Quixote in bed.  My own windmill took the shape of a rucksack whose weight seemed to be increasing exponentially with its distance from the earth. Whatever that last sentence means a change of plan needed to impose itself on the chaos of my unbridled operandi.
I hid my pack behind a dry-stone windbreak. Clutching a dry-bag with some chorizo, dry bread and water I edged up through the undisciplined rock towards the summit.  The afternoon winds picked up and I tried not to look like the opposite of a white man might at a Klu Klux Klan meeting. (OK, but tread carefully-ed)
The view at the top suspended my apprehensions and I enjoyed my few vittals before having my photo taken with the Catalan flag marking 'ownership' of the rock.
Soy Catalan.
I climbed down and was heading towards the north end of the lake to wild camp.  To get to the reservoir path though, I needed to go past a hotel bar.  Two cold beers and a jambon y queso bocadillo later and with refilled water bottles I sauntered round the lake to pitch my tent and settle down for my first night under canvas.
http://www.justgiving.com/gesarmor4peakspyrenees

No comments:

Post a Comment