Tuesday 7 September 2010

A long day into another.








http://www.justgiving.com/gesarmor4peakspyreneesTwo days after the above video they shovelled the first sods on his rough-sawn pine coffin....
I drank that clear spring water for two weeks, I'd still be drinking it now.
I kept up with Eñaut until the next big up.  Then I waved him off, had a drink and watched the young German father and his even younger son and daughter skip ahead of me. Oh boy! Age! I overtook them and charged up the hill with purpose.  Too fast, not pacing myself, my mind was always ahead of my body and I´d have to stop again and again.  Puffing and panting like a glassblower.  The German trio caught up with me again and we had a laugh at the absurdity of it.  I told the story (briefly!) of the Hare and the Tortoise to his children and they giggled.  On and up ahead of them I went again and again.  At the top I took a long draught of water and some chocolate.  I was careful to do this at the top because you needed all your concentration to get down without tripping amongst all the roots.
A Frenchman greeted me with his lively young (that word again!) Australian sheepdog called Fonz.  A collie with streaks in its shaggy coat, an attractive dog and well natured.  The not old Germans coming along were apprehensive of its gaiety so I grabbed it and prevented it bounding onto the son .  The family went passed me again.  I talked about his dog, but briefly, my spider senses were tingling, his muscles were a little too well defined, I turned to go and almost walked into his girlfriend, an Amazon of such exquisite femininity all the trees seemed to stiffen in her gaze.  No spider I.



No comments:

Post a Comment